Hot Spinach & Kale Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 1 hour 20 minutes • Serves: 20
1 teaspoon garlic salt
20 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Nonstick cooking spray
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bags (5 ounces each) baby kale, coarsely chopped
2 bags (5 ounces each) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 package (8 ounces) Neufchâtel cheese, softened
1/2 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In small bowl, combine oregano and garlic salt. Working in batches, place 5 tortillas in single layer on work surface; spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray; evenly sprinkle with oregano mixture. Stack tortillas; cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
2. On 2 rimmed baking pans, spread half the tortilla wedges in a single layer. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, rotating pans and turning wedges after 12 minutes. Transfer chips to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining tortilla wedges. Makes 80 chips.
3. Meanwhile, in large saucepot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add kale, spinach and salt; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently; strain, pressing with back of spoon to remove excess moisture.
4. In same saucepot, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tender; remove from heat. Stir in garlic, Neufchâtel cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and pepper until well combined. Stir in 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and kale mixture. Spoon kale mixture into 1-1/2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until bubbly and top is browned. Makes about 5 cups.
5. Serve dip with tortilla chips or Pita Crisps.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
165 Calories, 6g Fat (3g Saturated), 18mg Cholesterol,
315mg Sodium, 17g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 7g Protein
Serve along with fresh veggies like carrots, cucumbers, celery, sugar snap peas and/or bell peppers.