Prep: 15 minutes plus standing
Cook: 16 minutes • Serves: 4
1 envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter
3 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup Anderson’s pure maple syrup, warmed
Assorted fruit, pecans, honey, powdered sugar and/or hazelnut chocolate spread for serving (optional)
1. In medium saucepot, heat milk over medium-low heat until slightly warm (temperature of milk should not be above 90°); remove from heat. Whisk in yeast until dissolved.
2. In small microwave-safe bowl, heat butter in microwave oven 25 seconds or until melted. In small bowl, beat egg yolks with whisk. Stir vanilla, butter and egg yolks into milk mixture.
3. Into large bowl, sift flour and salt; with rubber spatula, fold in egg yolk mixture just until combined; do not overmix (mixture will be lumpy). Let stand 30 minutes, uncovered, in warm place.
4. In large bowl, with mixer, beat egg whites on medium-high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add sugar; beat 1 minute longer or until stiff peaks form. Fold egg white mixture into batter just until combined; do not overmix (mixture will be lumpy).
5. Preheat waffle iron; spray both sides of iron with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle about 1 cup batter (depending on size of waffle iron) evenly into iron, enough to cover the surface; close iron. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter to make 3 more waffles. Serve waffles with maple syrup and toppings of choice. Makes four (6-1/2-inch) waffles.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
573 Calories, 17g Fat (10g Saturated), 179mg Cholesterol,
536mg Sodium, 86g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 15g Protein