Grilled Tangerine Shrimp with Spicy Whole Wheat Pasta
Prep: 55 minutes plus marinating • Grill: 10 minutes • Serves: 4
1/3 cup fresh tangerine, clementine or orange juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon tangerine zest
1/2 teaspoon chopped lemon grass
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
16 16-20 count tail-on raw peeled and deveined shrimp
4 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta
8 (8-inch) wooden skewers
2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 cups coarsely chopped baby or regular bok choy (white and green parts)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup sliced green onions
4 cups shredded napa cabbage
Black sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
1. In medium bowl, whisk together tangerine juice, 1 teaspoon cilantro, garlic, tangerine zest, lemon grass, sesame oil and red pepper flakes; reserve 2 tablespoons marinade. Place shrimp in large zip-top plastic bag, pour marinade over shrimp; seal bag, refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, in large saucepot, cook pasta as label directs. Soak skewers in water 20 minutes. In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili garlic sauce; stir in remaining 1 teaspoon cilantro. In large skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add bok choy and carrots and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove skillet from heat.
3. Drain pasta and return to saucepot. Add soy sauce mixture, vegetable mixture and green onions; toss to combine. Cover and keep warm.
4. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Double skewer shrimp (1 near top, 1 near tail), 4 shrimp per set of skewers leaving about 1/2 inch between shrimp. Place shrimp skewers on hot grill rack and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until opaque throughout and internal temperature reaches 145°.
5. Divide napa cabbage over 4 serving plates. Remove shrimp from skewers; place 4 shrimp over cabbage and drizzle with reserved marinade. Place noodles and vegetables next to shrimp, and garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
*Lemon Grass Herb Blend can be found in the produce department.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 254 Calories, 3g Fat (11% of total calories), 1g Saturated Fat (4% of total calories), 100mg Cholesterol, 446mg Sodium, 37g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 22g Protein
Dietary Exchanges: 2 Starch; 3 Protein; 1 Fat