Coconut Shrimp with Fruit Dipping Sauce
Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 18 minutes • Serves: 6
3-1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup ice water
2 pounds raw 16-20 count tail-on peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed if necessary
Fruit Dipping Sauce
1 green onion, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
1 cup peach, mango or apricot marmalade or preserves
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1. Prepare Coconut Shrimp: Preheat oven to 375°. Spray rimmed baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place coconut in wide, shallow dish. In separate wide, shallow dish, stir flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt until well combined. In small bowl, whisk eggs; add eggs to flour mixture and whisk until well combined. Add ice water and stir until well combined.
3. Holding shrimp by tail, dip shrimp in flour-egg batter to coat both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off; dip shrimp in coconut to coat both sides and place on prepared pan.
4. Bake shrimp 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Spray shrimp with nonstick cooking spray; turn shrimp and bake 8 to
10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, prepare Fruit Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, stir all ingredients until well combined. Makes about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dip. Let shrimp stand 5 minutes before serving with dipping sauce.
Approximate nutritional values per serving
(6 shrimp and 3 tablespoons dip):
440 Calories, 20g Fat (19g Saturated), 220mg Cholesterol,
1151mg Sodium, 43g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 24g Protein
For a healthier version, replace bacon with turkey bacon, rotisserie chicken with shredded, cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cheese with reduced fat or fat-free cheese and sour cream with plain nonfat yogurt.