Mini Beef Pot Pies
Prep: 40 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes • Serves: 4
1/2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound lean sirloin steak, cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 package (8 ounces) sliced portobello mushrooms
1-1/2 cups less sodium beef broth
1 package (12 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
1 large potato, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly flour work surface; unroll crust onto work surface. With rolling pin, roll crust into 12-1/2-inch circle. Invert 4 (10-ounce) ramekins or oven-safe dishes onto crust; with paring knife, cut along rim of each ramekin to make 4 dough rounds. Discard crust scraps.
2. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to skillet; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until evenly browned, stirring occasionally; transfer beef to bowl.
3. To same skillet, add mushrooms; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until browned. Add broth; stir to scrape browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add vegetables, potato, thyme, tomato paste and beef. Cover; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until potato is tender.
4. With large spoon, transfer 1/4 cup liquid from skillet to small bowl; whisk in cornstarch. Stir cornstarch mixture into skillet with beef mixture.
5. Spray ramekins used for cutting crust with nonstick cooking spray; evenly spoon beef mixture into prepared ramekins. Place 1 dough round over top of each ramekin, pressing edges of dough against sides of ramekins. With paring knife, cut 4 small slits in top of dough.
6. Place pies on rimmed baking pan; lightly spray top of each pie with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 pie):
400 Calories, 14g Fat (5g Saturated), 80mg Cholesterol,
620mg Sodium, 36g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 35g Protein