Prep: 25 minutes plus standing
Cook/Grill: 20 minutes • Serves: 10
1/2 (16-ounce) package farfalle or penne pasta
1/3 cup pine nuts (about 1-1/2 ounces)
3 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
9 green onions, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1-1/2 ounces)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 (5-ounce) package baby spinach (about 3 cups lightly packed)
1 small English cucumber, cut lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2-1/2 cups)
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook as label directs; drain. Rinse pasta under cold water and drain.
2. Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to plate to cool completely.
3. Place corn on hot grill rack and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning frequently. Transfer corn to plate; let stand 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in food processor with knife blade attached, pulse onions, garlic, cheese, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper and pine nuts until finely chopped, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber spatula. Slowly add oil through feed tube and blend until pesto is thick and emulsified. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
5. Cut corn from cobs; place in large bowl. Add pasta and pesto and toss until well blended; fold in spinach and cucumber. Makes about 8 cups.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
258 Calories, 15g Fat (3g Saturated), 3mg Cholesterol,
131mg Sodium, 26g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 7g Protein
If desired, prepare steps 1 through 4 up to 1 day in advance; toss salad ingredients with pesto as directed in step 5 just before serving.